[Smt-talk] First Species Question

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 13 06:17:15 PDT 2010

Let me say one more thing about the Josquin example I passed on.

Many people have suggested (both publicly and privately) that the F is
an accented passing tone, and indeed the context seems to support that
reading.  However, it is worth pointing out that theorists often
prohibit parallel fifths, even when one of the notes is a passing
tone.  That is, in Renaissance counterpoint, (C4, G4)->(Bb3, F4)->(A3,
F4) is often illegal, even though the Bb can be described as a passing
tone.  (My sense is that the underlying progression is pretty rare in
the Renaissance.)

One issue here is whether it makes sense, in a Renaissance context, to
speak of a "dissonant perfect fifth."  Or for that matter, a
"nonstructural perfect fifth."  Perhaps it is more accurate to say we
have two consecutive perfect fifths, which are by definition consonant.

The issues are subtle, and it's worth treading carefully; there are a
variety of ways of understanding the passage. I myself favor an
explanation that says: the passage is totally fine because the voices
do not move in parallel; for Josquin, perhaps, the prohibition on
parallel fifths was a prohibition on a certain kind of motion (voices
actually moving in parallel), and not on a certain kind of harmonic
state (two fifths in succession).

Why do I care about this?

I am interested in the thought that the conception of "forbidden
parallels" evolved over time.  I like the idea that earlier composers
were more focused on a specific type of motion, while later composers
were more focused on a general harmonic situation.  It helps explain
phenomena that I've noticed before -- for instance, that Palestrina
and Lassus will permit parallel-ish things that later composers
generally avoid, or that Bach will sometimes get out of parallels in a
cheap way, as if reverting to the older conception in a pinch.

What particularly interests me here is the thought that it's another
way in which we can see composers becoming increasingly aware of the
harmonic dimension of music; usually, we understand this as a matter
of becoming more aware of chords and how they move.  (That is, the
growing tendency to think of chords as objects that progress in
certain specific ways, rather than being byproducts of melodic
motion.)  But it's interesting to see a similar phenomenon occurring
in the treatment of antiparallel and contrary-motion fifths.  Here the
harmonic perspective leads to an increased sensitivity to these pseudo-
parallels.

Pedagogically, this leads to differences of opinion between theorists
like Schenker (who reject antiparallel fifths, and to that extent are
more "harmonic" in their approach) and Lewin (who, as Ed Gollin
reminded me, permitted antiparallels, and to that extent is more
"linear").

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri