[Smt-talk] First Species Question

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Wed Jul 14 07:32:33 PDT 2010

This point is well-taken, that "we can see composers becoming
increasingly aware of the harmonic dimension."
But why have we created a chords-as-objects vs chords-as-byproducts-of
melodic-motion dichotomy? I think
Mark Anson-Cartwright's passage exemplifies a both/and solution: Bach
give us a perfect balance between
the contrapuntal and the harmonic. Unfortunately, not all composers
after him walked that balance beam.
And this is a reason why many young jazz composers come to me for
private counterpoint lessons--they've
learned all there is about jazz harmony and now crave the skill to
negotiate the voices that jazz traditionally
leaves up to improv.

Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College