[Smt-talk] looking for an example of a specific progression

Daniel Mathers mathersdaniel at mac.com
Sun May 23 14:31:52 PDT 2010

One familiar piece that uses the reverse of the harmonic combination
mentioned (beginning with I6 instead of root position) is Schumann's "Der
Dichter spricht."

It does so motivically, opting for both inverted dominant- and fully
diminished-sevenths to support the fourth scale degree of 1-4-3 melodic
configurations, and within the context of various tonicizations, some of
which get interrupted/deflected. While building from this motive, Schumann
constantly defers the tonic chord in root position until the very final
measure, making for a very interesting penetration of a foreground feature
into the deepest level of structure to close the Kinderszenen.

This makes for a very poetic close indeed, inviting all sorts of metaphors
about the abiding influence of one's starting points, or childhood.

Daniel E. Mathers

Adjunct Instructor & Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory

College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati

mathersdaniel at mac.com