[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

Jane Clendinning jclendinning at fsu.edu
Fri Nov 19 21:00:11 PST 2010

Just a note that my comments in my prior email were not directed
specifically at Leslie, whose colleagues at the University of Western
Ontario would be well aware of his credentials, as well as the types of
degrees offered at the other Canadian doctoral programs.

My concern was that list readers would interpret Leslie's and Paul's emails
as advocating obfuscation . . . rather than as encouraging hiring committees
to consider all the credentials of a candidate.  The job applicant should be
able to make clear his/her preparation for a specific position while
including an accurate indication of the specific degree and concentration,
official titles for positions held, and other standard CV information, by
also including information such as Leslie provided--dissertation title and
description, major professor's name--and a brief description of
responsibilities and degree of supervision, in the case of employment where
the title is not representative of the scope and responsibility of the
duties.

Jane Clendinning

Jane Piper Clendinning
Professor of Music Theory
Florida State University
College of Music
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1180
Office phone:  850-644-3424 to leave message
Email:  jclendinning at fsu.edu