[Smt-talk] List of Schools that Offer the Ph.D. in Music Theory

Gary Karpinski garykarp at music.umass.edu
Fri Nov 19 21:09:04 PST 2010

Hello, All--

Permit me to broadcast a hearty "thank you" to everyone who replied to my APB about schools that offer the Ph.D. in music theory.  I received more than sixty replies, both on and off smt-talk, which helped me expand and edit the list.

It's important for you all to know that this little project of mine is for internal use at my school (for advising MM students and making peer-institution comparisons for administrators) and not some official SMT enterprise.  In fact, the SMT Professional Development Committee is working on a more comprehensive list of graduate programs in music theory, which should be available soon.

Several of you noticed that I had asked for "U.S. schools that offer the Ph.D. in music theory," but had absentmindedly included McGill on the list.  I decided to include Canadian schools and immediately expanded the list to include British Columbia, Alberta, and Toronto, as well as McGill

And because the original draft of the list was something produced hastily in my department more than a decade ago, there were several glaring omissions, including Chicago, Florida State, Penn, and others.  This says noting about the quality of these institutions and everything about the slapdash way the draft was thrown together in the first place.  As I mentioned in my original posting, please accept my apologies if your school was omitted.

Finally, let me say what a wonderful community of people SMT brings together.  One can post a query about something as knotty as math-music structures in Plato or as pedestrian as a list of Ph.D.-granting institutions, and receive extraordinarily constructive assistance within hours (sometimes minutes!).

Many of you asked for an updated list.  It's still a work in progress, but here's a much more thorough version:

Brandeis University
City University of New York
Columbia University
Eastman School of Music