[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 18:42:09 PST 2010

Dear Colleagues,
I  would love to join this discussion because, I think, it is important and timely. However, I find it fascinating how common misconceptions can play sometimes the role of ultimate truth in the last instance. The idea, that we should , quote, look into the type of academic work the candidate conducts, and not react to the subfields of their doctorates, end of quote, is one of these misconceptions. Yes, we should consider the applications from composers (as well as from French horn players, percussionists and neurobiologists). But what does that mean, quote, an emphasis in theory, end of quote? It means, that pretty much anybody with rudimental education in music theory can teach music theory. For a comparison, nobody outside the clarinet community can teach clarinet at a college level. It is out of question.
When I was a student, I took some courses in architectural drawing, in philosophy, in classical languages and in composition. Undoubtedly, they have made me a better person, but I would not dare to apply to a position of an architect, although some search committees would welcome my application. They will think that if I am a nice guy with a desire to learn and to teach, I will be OK.
Search committees sometimes even prefer somebody with the degree not in theory to teach theory. This misconception is based on a prejudice against theorists. I keep hearing that theorists are bad musicians. But what if a composer you are hiring writes predominantly microtonal, spectral or minimalist music. How would he or she perceive music of Joseph Haydn, or 19th-century theory of modulation? What if it is TOO OLD, or PASSEE for him or for her? How many papers has she or he read at the conferences, how many articles he or she is planning to publish? Will he or she have time to do that?
And what is, for Christ sake, the TEACHING SCHOOL? I keep hearing that also.  Apparently, it is the type of university or conservatory, in which a theorist is not required (or not obliged, or even forced not to) to do the research. But why, then, a music theater director at the same schools is running like crazy trying to set on stage operas and piano teacher goes on tour every semester ?  Is not this happening because without the professional activity they will lose their professional standing?
How much time does it take to become a theorist? Is it just a couple of additional seminars at a graduate school, or the whole life dedicated to the specialized ear training, intensive learning of the repertoire and intellectual inquiry into music in the context of culture?
It seems to me that it is time to stand up for the profession of a theorist. After all, we are not bad musicians!
Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com