[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

S. Alexander Reed alexreed at ufl.edu
Fri Nov 19 13:45:58 PST 2010

There are also schools that award doctoral degrees in Composition/Theory
combined, but not in either solely.  My Ph.D. from the University of
Pittsburgh is in thus both areas (Gary, feel free to add Pitt to your
list).  While it's all well for those of us in the know to call it a
rose by any other name, I have known of colleagues on the job market who
have run into difficulty on account of having, for example, a musicology
degree when applying for a theory job.  I encourage us all, when we find
ourselves on search committees, to look as much to the type of academic
work candidates conduct (or plan to) as we would to the subfield of
their doctorates.

S. Alexander Reed
Assistant Professor
University of Florida