[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

Dunsby, Jonathan jdunsby at esm.rochester.edu
Sun Nov 21 03:06:10 PST 2010

As so often, I urge American colleagues to bear in mind the rest of the world; and that doesn't just mean Canada. In the UK where I come from, there is no such designation as a doctorate in music theory. As Chris mentions of some US institutions, over there you get a PhD or DPhil in 'music'. I've listed my PhD sometimes as in 'music theory', for American consumption, because it's true, and my published dissertation would seem to prove the point: it could be something of a misrepresentation NOT to describe it so, lest anybody thought I were a, um, musicologist or something like that. In fact, I just looked at my mini c.v. that somebody wrote for the hallowed Eastman site, and have experienced one of those OMG moments http://www.esm.rochester.edu/theory/jonathan_dunsby.php. Do I need to call my attorney, even on a Sunday? :-)

Jonathan
Jonathan Dunsby
Chair, Music Theory Department
Professor of Music Theory