[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 22 04:34:28 PST 2010

Jane:  A profound ‹ and sobering -- reply --- thanks for that.  In this
context I would like to put in a plug for the ³Royal Conservatory² system
that I was fortunate to grow up within (musically) in Canada.  With this
system of graded instruction, each level has music theory and skills
built-in, and you have to perform prepared pieces, do sight-reading,
on-the-spot dictation, and pass a written rudiments/theory exam at each
level.  For those of you writing textbooks, I highly recommend you look at
the RC books / system.  A blurb is below if you are interested.

(quote from Wikipedia)

The Royal Conservatory of Music, also known as The Royal Conservatory or
RCM, provides music and arts   education, evaluative standards, publishing
and performance to people of all ages and stages across Canada and around
the world in pursuit of its mission to develop human potential. The Royal
Conservatory¹s head office is located in Toronto , Ontario . It was founded
by Edward Fisher  in 1886 as The Toronto Conservatory of Music. In 1947
George VI  incorporated the Conservatory  through royal charter. Notable
alumni include Glenn Gould , Oscar Peterson , Diana Krall, and
world-renowned sopranos Measha Brueggergosman  and Isabel Bayrakdarian.
Michael Foulkes is the current Chair of the Board  and Dr Peter Simon is the
President.[

Dave Headlam

p.s.  Canada is north of Minneapolis.

p.p.s.s  yes, that is King George VI  ‹ the father of the current Queen of
the Commonwealth, Elizabeth II.

--

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory