[Smt-talk] CVs (was Princeton and Theory)

Jane Clendinning jclendinning at fsu.edu
Mon Nov 22 05:34:20 PST 2010

Colleagues,

I did not mean to sound "uncollegial" or grumpy in my posts regarding
erroneous listing of degree titles on CVs-instead I was shocked and amazed
that people were not aware of the potential consequences of such choices.

Having worked with CVs of colleagues from the College of Music, from
throughout the university, and from across the country during job searches,
pre-tenure reviews, tenure and promotion hearings, research grant
applications (internal and external to the university), teaching award
competitions, and many other places CVs represent the person and his/her
work, I know that any identifiable error on a CV is taken very seriously,
and can be costly-especially if there are many well-qualified applicants,
where the reviewer is looking for ways to eliminate candidates.  If a
question is raised, and the CV content is checked and found to be inaccurate
within the person's immediate department or college, the colleague would be
advised to correct the errors, and likely nothing else would transpire; if
the CV is from outside the college (in a job application or graduate school
application), or if the error is noted by persons outside the college
(during review of a grant application, by a tenure review letter writer
outside the university, during the university's tenure and promotion
proceedings, or other external to the unit review), serious damage could be
done to the candidate's chances for whatever is being applied for . . .
anything that raises doubt in those cases can be enough to have a person
passed over.  I don't think many younger people are aware of how many places
their CV goes, and how it represents them.

Of course, as a person has more experience and standing in the field, it
becomes less likely anyone would check something of this sort or be
concerned about it, because after a large body of work, the initial training
a person had is overshadowed by more recent accomplishments.  For a recent
graduate, though, the degree and teaching experiences may be the most
substantial credentials the person has, and should be represented
accurately, clearly, and thoroughly enough for readers to get the complete
picture of the person's preparation for whatever he/she is applying for.

Jane Clendinning

Jane Piper Clendinning

Professor of Music Theory

Florida State University

College of Music

Tallahassee, FL 32306-1180

Office phone:  850-644-3424 to leave message

Email:  jclendinning at fsu.edu