[Smt-talk] Ph.D. in Music Theory on cvs [was: Princeton and Theory]

Charles J. Smith cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Mon Nov 22 08:20:16 PST 2010

Dear friends,

There are lots of issues here that I would like to weigh in on here,
but time is too pressing right now.

About the problem of degree identification on cvs, though, there
seems to me to be a simple solution, something we have recommended
that recipients of UB's Ph.D. in Historical Musicology and Music
Theory adopt. List your degree as follows:

Ph.D. in Music Theory [official title "Ph.D. in Historical Musicology
and Music Theory")

This solves the problem of self-identification of people whose
degrees would have a clear title in a rational world. (And reflects
our own history rather well, the time 10 years ago when UB did have a
separate degree, before the combination brought upon us by the state
Dept. of Education.) All this makeshift approach is designed to do is
lead the eyes past the name of the degree (which doesn't matter very
much) to what does matter: the school, the advisor(s), and the
dissertation title.

The only potential for mischief I see here is from delusional self-
misrepresentation, but I think we can trust search committees to toss
out (or prosecute) any applications with lines like

Ph.D. in Music Theory (official title "D.M.A. in English Horn
Performance")

or

Ph.D. in Music Theory (official title "Ph.D. in Comparative Literature")

Although I suppose that even these are at least conceivable...

Best,
Charles

Prof. Charles J. Smith
Slee Chair of Music Theory & Chair of the Department
Music Department, 220 Baird Hall, University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Private Office Line: 716-645-0639
Office Fax: 716-645-3824