[Smt-talk] Early account of beats

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Sep 13 06:34:14 PDT 2010

  This is exactly the kind of translation that begs the answer. So far
as I can tell, the German /schweben /has no connotation of fluctuation,
wavering, or beating, outside the context of music. Schlick's usage of
the term to describe a tempered fifth may well have been its first usage
in a musical context (there are not that many texts about music in
German before 1511). To say today that when Schlick said that tempered
fifths produce a 'floating' effect, he meant a 'beating' effect, because
we know today that the effect results from beating, merely reverses the
argument.

The expression /gleichsschwebend/, as applied to equal temperament, is
puzzling because the beating rate for two identical intervals is never
the same. As Reinhart Frosh rightly describes, the beat rate is
proportional the the frequencies involved. This also is what
Werckmeister already stated (albeit implicitly) in 1707 (/Musikalische
Paradoxal Discourse/): "equal temperament is when all the fifths 'float'
(/schweben/) by 1/12 of a comma" : it is the size of the tempering
interval that remains constant, not the beating rate.

When Werckmeister speaks of /schweben/, he usually refers to the
tempering or the tempered interval. In /Musikalische Temperatur/ (1691),
for instance, he writes:

    /Einige bringen es vor/es mussen alle Quinten ein Viertel eines
    commatis herunter schweben/ (p. 1)
    Some claim that all the fifths must 'float' a quarter of a comma lower
    /Etliche lassen alle Quinten theils auffwarts / theils unterwarts
    schweben /(p. 2)
    Some let all fifths 'float' partly upwards, partly downwards
    .../und das D soll wieder 1/4 Commat. schweben mit dem G. /(p. 53)
    ...and D shall again 'float' by 1/4 comma with respect to G
    etc.

In other words, for Werckmeister, /schweben /cannot have meant 'to
beat'; it may have meant 'to temper'.

Nicolas Meeùs
nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr