[Smt-talk] Early account of beats

reinifrosch at bluewin.ch reinifrosch at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 13 05:02:18 PDT 2010

Dear Jay, dear Nicolas,

According to the "Dictionary of Terms in Music, English-German, German-English" by Horst Leuchtmann (Metzler, Stuttgart, 1998), the first translation of "Schwebung" is "beat, beating", and "equal temperament" translates into "gleichschwebende Temperatur", because the beat rates of ET harmonic-complex-tone fifths divided by the frequency of the lower of the two tones of the fifth are equal in all cases, namely (3 - 2^(19/12)) = 0.003386. For instance, the ET-fifth A3(220 Hz)-E4 generates 0.003386 x 220 = 0.745 beats per second.

The (quarter-comma) meantone frequency of D3 given in Jay's posting (~146.7 Hz) is not correct, I think. I get 147.123 Hz. Beat rate of the meantone harmonic-complex-tone fifth D3-A3: (3 x 147.123 - 2 x 220.0) = 1.369 beats per second, i.e., about 1.4 Hz, as stated by Jay.

Reinhart.

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,
r. PSI and ETH Zurich,