[Smt-talk] Early account of beats

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Sep 13 02:42:48 PDT 2010

  Jay,

The pair /schwebend/gerade/ may mean wavering/straight, but also many
other things. Have a look at these two web pages:
http://www.linguee.com/german-english/translation/schwebend.html
http://www.linguee.com/german-english/translation/gerade.html
 From this, I would suggest that the most neutral translation would be
something like unstable/stable, which may or may not connote beats.

Your description of the interference, similarly, may or may not describe
what Schlick experienced. In order to perceive the beat rate between
harmonic 3 of D (~147Hz) and harmonic 2 of A (220), as in the case you
describe, a tuner would have to concentrate on hearing what happens at
the level of about 440Hz, and may indeed be able to count beats there at
a rate of about 1.4Hz if the fifth D-A is in quarter-comma meantone.
This is no easy trick, one that must be learned.

I stress this because, especially in the case of the organ (because of
its high harmonic content and its high stability), many fluctuation
rates can be perceived at the same moment and most people would remain
unable to concentrate on a specified one. In the case of the fifth D-A
just described, the interferences between the first few harmonic
partials would include not only harmonics 3 against 2, beating about
1.4Hz, but also harmonics 4 against 3 (71Hz), 5 against 3 (75Hz), 6
against 4 (2.7Hz), 7 against 5 (70 Hz), etc. All these partials remain
below 1100Hz.

Schlick, like anyone, may have perceived tempered intervals as unstable,
just ones as stable. To perceive them as beating, in the technical sense
of the term, is quite another matter.

Nicolas Meeùs
nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr