[Smt-talk] Aesthetics of Computer-Generated Music

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri Apr 8 12:02:00 PDT 2011

It seems to me that the case of computer-generated music is much akin to
that of fakes in art. This is all the more interesting that, according
to Nelson Goodman, fakes cannot exist in an allographic art such as
music. What would be faked, in the case of computer-generated music, is
its intentionality. The extent to which such music could produce an
aesthetic effect strongly depends on the intentionality of the listener.
For this reason, I doubt that an experimental study would produce any
interesting result: the listener's answers would not depend on the music
itself, rather (a) of their awareness of it being computer-generated;
(b) of their opinion about this. I would think, therefore, that the
question must be approached from a semiotic and/or philosophical point
of view, not from a merely empirical/experimental one.

Consider these cases:
– At a not too recent conference in the Sorbonne, one of the papers was
read by a guy who had written a piece of software generating what he
thought was (good) tonal music. He explained that he had come to love
this music so much that he couldn't hear any other any more. The
examples he made us listen to where awful – or so thought several of us.
Obviously, neither this guy nor any of us judged the music on its
inherent aesthetic value: we were guided by our personal convictions.
– Suppose that a real piece of music, written by a real composer, is
presented as computer-generated. Many a listener might dislike it merely
on the basis that it is (erroneously) thought to be a fake.
– Inversely, suppose that a computer-generated work is made to pass for
the work of an interesting forgotten composer: many critics will praise
it and praise the rediscovery of an unjustly neglected master.
– Etc.

I do believe that common-practice tonality can be modelized with much
more satisfying (and more precise results than what Marcel de Velde
believes. Examples do exist (e.g. Mario Baroni, Rossana Dalmonte and
Carlo Jacoboni's Legrense software described in their /Regole della
musica/, successfully modelizing arie by Legrense).

I don't think that intonation has any important share in this matter.
After all, there exist recordings of, say, /The Art of Fugue/, on early
synthetizers (Moog) which played in ET: I did not feel that the music
suffered so much. The problem remains that just intonation isn't really
usable in tonal music because the directionality of tonal harmony
produces an unavoidable shift in pitch in just intonation. I suppose
that one might construct a harmonic functionality that would balance the
shifts in pitch, and that just intonation in that case might produce
some sort of consonant effect that might seem of aesthetic value; but
that would not be tonal music.
     Marcel, your experiment in just intonation seems to me to sound
much more like "modal" polyphony of the 16th century than like tonal
music, precisely because your algorithm probably makes no provision for
a tonal directionality of the harmony – and because limiting the range
to the 5-limit-harmonic did not confront you to the problem of having to
prepare and resolve 7ths, which one of the main causes of tonal
directionality.

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne