[Smt-talk] Wiki

Frank Lehman flehman at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 1 21:48:57 PDT 2011

Dear all,

I write this email not to opine on the value or uses of Wikipedia, which we
can agree have been well rehearsed by members of this listserv in the past
weeks. Rather, I wish to reiterate what I stated in my July 17 message: to
anyone who is willing, the Wikipedia page on
Prolongation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolongation> will
benefit greatly from your input. Even if you are concerned with vandalism,
inaccuracy, or the complexity of the subject matter, a few small
contributions (such as adding sources, examples, and clarifications where
needed) could go a long way in improving this "blasted" page. Many changes
would require but the smallest time commitment. If we are willing to to
write such lengthy and eloquent emails *about *Wikipedia, I have no doubt we
could write *on *Wikipedia with great success, even if only in small doses.

This evening I began an overhaul of the prolongation entry (as shrewdly
noticed by Bob Kosovsky). This included dividing the page into subsections
and fleshing them all out to a minor extent. I am amused that many of those
citations that Devin Chaloux remarked were valuable are the product of my
quite hasty first stab at fixing the page up. It is, to be honest, still a
mess--most egregious is the paucity of concrete references to Schenker's
writings. But I maintain it would not take much to turn it into something we
could collectively feel was respectable. Once again, there is a useful
discussion
page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Prolongation> on which editors could
sound out strategies for improvement (or critiques -- believe me, I have no
strong attachment to the page's current content or layout!).

Finally, perhaps this apparently intense concern about online references
could be focused into an SMT interest group (my apologies if this has been
organized in the past and I'm unaware of it).

Best,
Frank Lehman
Harvard University, Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
flehman at fas.harvard.edu
Unsung Symphonies Blog <http://unsungsymphonies.blogspot.com/>