[Smt-talk] Wiki

Devin Chaloux devin.chaloux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 21:04:07 PDT 2011

Thank you Yosef for the reply!

I was speaking in terms of students and how they act today - I am very aware
of where I can get top-end results on research. I use Grove very often.

As a TA, I taught college freshmen last year and I had several run-ins with
"well Wikipedia said..." The fact is - students get information from there
whether or not we tell them too. In the mind of the student - if I'm off
campus, it is a pain to get onto the VPN or proxy so I can search something
up through the library website. I'm not sure how many clicks that takes on
each school's website, but to our streamlining youth, they'll tend to go
with the path of least resistance, which is probably Wikipedia.

Regardless, we should be maintaining Wikipedia pages, to some degree, for
all who aren't affiliated with academic institutions and want to find more.
There are plenty of people in the world who could benefit from an article on
Wikipedia and stimulate their own interest. These articles will never be at
the level of a Grove entry. Drabkin's entry in Grove is a great resource
that we can trust for a detailed explanation of prolongation.

At the same time, Grove fails us sometimes where in articles just like
prolongation, we have no bibliography or references section to learn more.
Yet, I go to the Wikipedia page, and the reference section brings my
attention to Salzer's "Structural Hearing", Salzer and Schachter's
"Counterpoint in Composition", Drabkin's article on Schenker in the
Cambridge Companion to Western Music, etc. But - it also cites Straus' "The
Problem of Prolongation in Post-Tonal Music." No where in the Grove article
did it mention anything about issues with prolongation in post-tonal music -
and having read this article in congruence with a lecture dealing with
Schenkerian analysis, it certainly is a resource I think is worthy of at
least linking to the article. Nevertheless, the Wikipedia page ignores
Larson's response to that article "The Problem of Prolongation in Tonal
Music: Terminology, Perception, and Expressive Meaning" which I think would
enhance the article.

...And I'm sure there are tens to hundreds more articles that deal with the
issue of prolongation in music. We have this incredible resource (the
Internet) at our hands to help us link articles we think are relevant and
important to specific issues in our field. While I currently don't mind
perusing through thousands of articles and books through databases like RILM
and WorldCat, searching different keywords just to make sure I don't
overlook a potential source, we have the ability to organize a reference
list for major topics. In a utopian world, we could compile lists like David
Carson Berry did with his "A Topical Guide to Schenkerian Literature: An
Annotated Bibliography with Indices" and keep it up to date.

It's not about making Wikipedia our new Grove - it's about utilizing
Wikipedia for its strengths. We can direct our students to, rather an avoid
Wikipedia, learn how Wikipedia could be a "tool" to help jump start their
research. Between that, access to non-academic affiliated people, and the
ability to update Wikipedia instantly, it should be a resource we should
utilize.

At this point, I will bow out of this discussion. I only intended to first
shed light on the situation from a current student's perspective. I hope I
have succeeded at this point.

Happy analyzing!

--
*Devin Chaloux*
University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music