[Smt-talk] Music theory on Wikipedia

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 00:25:15 PDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am not sure if my contribution to this topic is going to be valuable but I have been thinking about this issue as all of you. Of course, Wiki is the "most informed source on all trivial matters" as one of our colleagues joked once. However, in comparison with the New Groves, MGG and other sources it has one advantage which makes it special. It is not related to the biases of a single national tradition. The New Groves is very biased and it is not concealed by the authors of the original edition: they clamed that they wanted to promote British musicology. And, truly, the way they depicted Rachmaninoff or Rimsky-Korsakov, is an example of the most savage bigotry ever appeared in print. The Soviet Musical Encyclopedia of 1975, on the other hand, is also very, very biased and univocal. WIkipedia does not seem to adhere to any of these polar positions.

And the statement that "I, as a professional theorist, can help this issue" sounds also quite problematic. Of course, one of us can suggest a point of view, but it will be just that--a specific, original, yet very peculiar position on a narrow topic.

Of course, we have to be more active contributing to Wiki, but as a source, it will withstand our critique and will survive it.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com