[Smt-talk] Music theory on Wikipedia

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 12:57:29 PDT 2011

Dear Jack,

good point! Schoenberg's approach to this matter was different and closer to the real musical tradition, including the tradition of composition and theory of the 19th century.

The Y-X-Y is a strange notation of what should be T-S-D-T as a syntactic  main frame of a harmonic progression--surely, the main achievement of music theory of the past three centuries.

The fact that one can hear the large Y above these three does not change the relationship within Y-X-Y. It is, in fact the i-m-t relationship, the initio-movere-terminus, which Boris Asafiev introduced in his seminal text Musical Form as a Process. The small-scale i-m-t can be taken as a whole by either I, or M, or T on a larger scale. There are many levels, from motive to the whole composition, on which this model works. I wrote about it in my article on Bobrovsky in Theoria, vol 16.
Thus, the first Y initiates the time for the inner motion in a progression. The X is responsible for the motion itself and it is directed at Y2, which terminates the motion. This model applies to many aspects of music, such as rhythm, meter, motive, harmonic progression, form, etc. And of course, the qualities of the two Y's on their level are quite different (one initiates, another terminates motion), and the fact that all three can represent something else on another level does not change their functional definitions.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com