[Smt-talk] has been Music theory on Wikipedia, now prolongation

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 01:21:23 PDT 2011

Dear Nicolas and Dmitri,

yes, indeed, there are  philosophical problems with prolongation.

"What is given is Y, at first a mere abstraction of a chord, a mere image of the series of harmonic partials. In order to become a musical chord, Y must be inscribed it time, "prolonged", which may be done by a mere arpeggiation – producing no subordinate chord. "

This statement is problematic, as well. So, Schenker perceived a chord as something outside time and, of course, in order to be present in time, the chord had to be "prolonged," that is, to be inserted into a preexistent physical timeline.  This understanding of time is so naive that it renders all the following system irrelevant. It is unforgivable for a person who lived in Europe in the first third of the 20th century and could read literature in German to have such a skewed and anachronistic understanding of time.

Musical time does not exist outside the chord. The chord is an entity which constitutes musical time. If one keeps banging on a tonic triad, musical time does not occur. The quality of the chord may initiate the temporal process. However, simple arpeggiation is too weak of an impulse to create a large-scale  temporal process. That is why rock musicians grow old and still cannot produce anything larger than a tunelet.

As for Y-X-Y as a model for prolongation, the first Y is never the same as the last Y. It has been described by Hegel and supported by a consellation of philosophers. So, truly, prolongation should be taken back to the old drawing board. It is not ready for posting at Wikipedia.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com