[Smt-talk] has been Music theory on Wikipedia, now prolongation

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sat Jul 16 09:24:18 PDT 2011

Ildar,

I did not quite follow. Do you mean that Schenker is too stupid for
Wikipedia, or Wikipedia too stupid for Schenker?

Schenker writes (/Harmonielehre/, p. 281): /In der praktischen Kunst
kommt es im allgemein darauf an, den Begriff der Harmonien durch
lebendigen Inhalt zu realisiren/, which means: "in [music], it comes
down in general to realize [to make real] the concept of the harmonies
through a live content". (E. Mann's translation, /Harmony/, p. 211,
reads"the main problem is how to realize the concept of harmony in a
live content", which although not really incorrect, seems to me slightly
biased). Schenkerfurther writes that the abstract concept of a triad
"reaches but the function of a provisionally merely sketched
proposition", .../allein bloss etwa die Wirkung einer zunächst nur
skizzierten Behauptung erreicht /("would have the effect of an assertion
merely sketched for the time being", in E. Mann's translation)/./
     This idea is much in line with contemporary ideas of Husserl or
Saussure, about thoughts remaining chaotic (Saussure: "a shapeless and
indistinct mass") before they have been uttered. Harmonies, Schenker
believes, are at first ideal, shapeless, abstract entities; they must be
uttered, if only in a mental process leading from an abstract
/Harmoniebegriff /to a sound-image of it, much as thoughts are turned
into sound-images of concepts, in Saussurean linguistics. Schenker's
ideas on this are by no means anachronistic; on the contrary, they are
extraordinarily modern.
     I can agree with you that a chord has no reality outside time; but
is that not exactly what Schenker says, namely that a /Harmoniebegriff
/is at firs but ideal and that it must be musically 'realized' - that
is, inscribed in time, in order to transform the concept, the
/Begriff/,  into a 'real', musical chord?
     As to Y–X–Y as a "model of prolongation", I can only repeat that
this would form an excessively superficial view of the process. There is
only one "Y", that which is prolonged; the prolongation does not consist
in splitting Y in two in order to insert X between the two parts, but in
letting Y grow. "X", if any, fully belongs to Y, of which it is an
organic outgrowth.

Schenker's thought is not an easy one; it certainly never is "naive".

Best,
Nicolas

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne