[Smt-talk] prolongation

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Sun Jul 17 14:54:07 PDT 2011

Nicolas,

I appreciate very much your efforts to track the evolution of Schenker’s ideas. This is an important project, and is indeed more “historical” than “theoretical.” However, let us remember how this discussion started. You claimed that the “Y-X-Y model” is a “superficial” or “naïve” interpretation of Schenkerian Prolongation. This is a theoretical claim, not a historical one, and particularly, a claim that assumes that “Schenkerian Prolongation” is a definable concept. If there is no such thing as “Schenkerian Prolongation” (because the concept constantly “evolved,” or was riddled with problems and contradictions from the outset), then there is really nothing to discuss. But if, nonetheless, “Schenkerian Prolongation” is a theoretically viable concept, as I believe it is (its “evolution” and other issues notwithstanding), then I merely wanted to point out in my original posting that your judgment concerning the “Y-X-Y model” may have been a somewhat hasty one.

One final point by which I hope to close this fascinating discussion: chromaticism, in my view (and I believe Schenker’s as well), is not inconsistent with diatonicism. To the contrary, diatonicism makes chromaticism possible (thus chromatic degrees do not contradict the “diatonic scale”).

Eytan Agmon

Bar-Ilan University