[Smt-talk] Jonathan Kramer's "The Time of Music"

Neil Newton nnew005 at aucklanduni.ac.nz
Tue Jul 26 16:53:45 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, because of pricing algorithms, out of print books can get
very expensive. and not because of actual demand. You can read about it
here:

http://gawker.com/5795047/why-amazon-charged-2369865593-for-a-genetics-textbook

Basically, people use a program which sets the price of a book by
checking what other people are selling that book for. They might set the
program to price the book just higher than what other people are selling
it at. If there are two people selling the book, and they are both using
a similar program, you end up with a very expensive book.

I wonder if this is what is happening with some theory books, or
possibly a human version of the same problem. I have run into the same
problem as Laurel, but with Agawu's _Playing with Signs_: I can't
justify spending $300+ for it.

Best,
Neil