[Smt-talk] Jonathan Kramer's "The Time of Music"

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Jul 28 07:21:54 PDT 2011

There are books available on IMSLP, e.g. Schenker's /Harmonielehre
/(http://imslp.org/wiki/Harmonielehre_%28Schenker,_Heinrich%29), said
there to be "public domain", which I doubt so far as Europe is concerned.

There may be better depositories for books, though, such as
http://www.archive.org, or http://www.gutenberg.org/, which already
offer quite a lot in the field of music theory and probably are better
equipped than IMSLP to produce searchable documents. The pdf version of
Schenker's /Harmonielehre /available on IMSLP is not searchable, while
that on www.archive.org is. The reason probably is that the latter has
been scanned in a library (Boston Public Library) equipped with OCR
facilities. Unfortunately, OCR is hardly available for many languages
(including German in /Fraktur/ printing).

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne