[Smt-talk] digression: pulse & Pieces with improvisatory openings

JAY RAHN jayrahn at rogers.com
Sun Nov 6 08:56:15 PST 2011

Resuming an earlier thread, and in response to questions regarding metrical perception raised by Michael Morse and Justin London, a recent publication seems relevant:

Journal of Neuroscience, July 13, 2011  31(28):10234 –10240, accessible at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9591219/Nozaradan2011JNeurosci.PDF

In the article, Nozaradan et al. show that if one hears a pulsatile succession of tones, there are significant EEG responses in the frontal and temporal regions that coincide with the pulses one hears. However, if one imagines an accent at every second pulse of this succession, there are significant EEG responses at every second pulse but the particular brain regions differ from person to person. Finally, if one imagines an accent at every third pulse of the succession, there are significant EEG responses, which, again differ regionally from person to person, and which appear not only at every third pulse but also at every second pulse.

In short, imagined pulsations have objective correlates but their brain topography differs not only from the topography of pulsations that are actually heard but also from person to person. As well, imagined accents can induce a non-linear response, e.g., at every second pulse when each pulse is heard and every third pulse is imagined as accented.

As for the time when such responses begin and how long they persist after the pulses that are actually heard have ceased, Norazadan et al. point out that relevant measurements are not available for approximately the first second, i.e., the first ~1000 ms, because of measurement noise that can't be adequately filtered out. However, it seems to me that, at least in principle, persistence of responses after a pulsation that has actually been heard would be observable if one employed much the same approach as in the Norazadan study.

Jay Rahn, York University

and Zatorre, R.J. 2008. Listening to Musical Rhythms Recruits Motor Regions of
the Brain. Cerebral Cortex18,
2844-2854.

Smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org