[Smt-talk] music dictionary relevance and recommendations

David Claman davidclaman at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 06:32:43 PST 2011

Collective Wisdom,

I'm looking for a good music dictionary for my students. We subscribe to Grove Online, of course, but I am not sure how often the students use it. This makes me think that a hard copy music dictionary still may be very useful. I  like the New Harvard but fear it is out of date, and I am not familiar with all the options available. Please let me know your opinion on this issue and suggestions. The dictionary should have entries on pop music, jazz and non-western music in addition to western classical music.

Thank you,

David Claman Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music
Lehman College-CUNY