[Smt-talk] Coniuncta

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Tue Nov 1 12:51:35 PDT 2011

There are many references to /coninuncta /in Bermudo (especially
/Declaracion/, cap. XX), which do reflect the multiple senses of the term:
– tetrachords or hexachords added to the normal system, on the model of
the /synemmenon/ tetrachord of the Ancients;
– /ficta/ notes resulting from these additions, producing irregular
intervals;
– sharp and flat signs denoting the irregular notes delimiting these
intervals.

There are also references to the /coniuncta/ in Ramos, at about the same
time as Tinctoris, and I think these have been misunderstood. Machabey
states that Ramos has the same definition as Tinctoris, but the truth is
that Ramos quotes Tinctoris in order to refute his definition (/Semotus
a vera cognitione Johannes Tinctoris sic ait: Coniuncta est positio /
/Semotus a vera cognitione Johannes Tinctoris sic ait : Coniuncta est
positio @aut $in loco irregulari./: for Tinctoris, the /coniuncta/ is a
/ficta/ note, while for Ramos it is an additional hexachord, producing
one or more /ficta/ notes.
     It has also been thought that when Ramos said that Spanish keyboard
instruments had no /coniuncta/ below A, he meant that they had no black
keys there. My conviction, however, is that what he truly meant is that
whatever keys would be available below A, they did not belong to the
hexachordal system.
     There also is an implicit confusion, in Ramos, between /coninuncta
/(a /ficta/ hexachord) and /coniunctio/, the fact that different notes
belong to the same hexachord. It seems to me that the comments of Jay
Rahn in a previous message reflect the same confusion: they concern
/coniunctio/, not /coniuncta./

A few bibliographical references in French:
– N. Meeùs, "Bartolomeo Ramos de Pareia
et la tessiture des instruments à clavier entre 1450 et 1550", /Revue
des Archéologues et Historiens d'Art de Louvain/ V (1972), pp. 148-172.
– P. Otaola, "Les /coniunctae/ dans la théorie musicale au Moyen Âge et
à la Renaissance (1375-1555)", /Musurgia/ V/1 (1998).

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne