[Smt-talk] Motet Settings of Psalm 90:10

Ben Dobbs sax_dobbs at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:03:24 PDT 2011

Dear SMT List,
I am currently working on an analysis comparing two motet settings (1620, 6vv; 1631, 4+4vv) of the same text (Psalm 90:10, Unser Leben wehret [währet] siebenzig [siebzig] Jahr') by German cantor/composer/theorist Heinrich Grimm (1592/3-1637).  For comparison, I am examining settings of this text by other roughly contemporaneous composers.  I am familiar with the settings by Seth Calvisius (1615, 4+4vv), J.H. Schein (1623, 5vv+bc), Heinrich Schütz (an internal section of the Musikalische Exequien, 1636), and J.M. Bach (late 17th c., 5vv+bc).  I am sure that there are more settings of this text out there, and that is the purpose of this query.  Are you familiar with any other settings of this text from approximately 1580 to 1680?  I am also interested in Latin settings of the same text (Dies annorum nostrorum...).
Regards,
Benjamin DobbsDoctoral Teaching Fellow in Music TheoryUniversity of North Texas
benjamindobbs at my.unt.edu