[Smt-talk] Figured bass query - Bach/Schemelli no. 5.

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sat Nov 12 15:20:50 PST 2011

Now that the matter is settled (and properly so), I should perhaps add
that, in the early 19th century, the Paris Conservatoire (Catel?)
conceived that a diagonal line through 5 indicated the diminished 5th
characteristic of the dominant 7th, while the sign + denoted the leading
tone belonging to the same. The (implicit) purpose seems to have been to
recognize the "natural" 7th chord (that of the dominant) and to
differentiate it from any other 7th.
     In the example quoted by Yosef Goldenberg, the 5 with a line
through it indicates a raised 5th above degree II in minor, therefore
not a "natural" 7th, while the 6 with a line in the reverse direction
really means "+6" in the French convention, the "natural 7th", cause of
many mistakes...