[Smt-talk] BELGIAN +6

Howard Cinnamon Howard.Cinnamon at Hofstra.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:32:41 PST 2011

Steve,
Your ‘Belgian 6th’ is actually not a chord either. It is an extension of the G dominant-seventh chord that begins in measure 133 and results from a chromatic passing motion in the bass, leading from the root of that chord (m. 133) to its third (m. 135) that is placed in counterpoint to a collection of similar descending chromatic passing motions in the upper voices. Here the D-flat is actually a chromatic passing tone leading from the D-natural that precedes it (the fifth of the chord) to the C that follows (note the explicit voice leading in the bass clarinet, 2nd and 4th horns, 3rd trumpet and 2nd trombone). In all, your chord is part of an expanded V7/V in F leading to V7 and then on to I in measure 136. Nothing that exceptional, when Franck’s characteristic chromatic voice leading is taken into account. It is what William Gettle (whom I’m sure your remember from City College, years ago) used to call “creeping chromaticism” - chromatic voice leading that produces what seems to be chords that really aren’t functional harmonies.
Howard Cinnamon,
Hofstra University