[Smt-talk] BELGIAN +6

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 06:40:07 PST 2011

Dear Dmitri and the List,

this is a very important detail. Yes, technically, as a technicality, it might seem that there is no difference between the function of Subdominant and the V/V. So many stumble upon this fine distinction (Re-Fa-La-Do or Re-Fa#-La-Do?). Still, the V/V implies a digression (Ausweichung) into the key of V. The Sii7 does not suggest such a digression. We have to be careful separating these two functions. To say that both prepare the dominant is insufficient. The Subdominant is a part of harmonic progression in a given key. The V/V is a sonority which is foreign  to it and not participating in a progression in a given key. It points out to the possibiliy of changing the key. The fact that the actual changing of a key does not happen does not change the function of V/V.

The so-called German+6 chord, as well as Italian and Frech, most commonly appears in a measure preparing the Perfect Authentic Cadence. That is how the use of the German+6 has begun in Viennese Classical period. All three substitute for regular Subdominant. It would be unreasonable to digress into the key of the Dominant right before the PAC in the main key! Yes, sometimes composers used the V/V there, but it was an exception from the rule. Exceptions cannot override the rules. That is why old textbooks maintain that all three chords with +6 belong to the Subdominant function. They seem to see the context very well. Function is defined not by the pitch of the chord, but by its place in the metric grid. Of course, later in the 19th century the chords were emancipated, but all composers, including Franck, had similar training and the concept of Subdominant instilled from the early age.

What is even more important is necessity not to confuse functions. When you are saying that the French+6 belongs not to Subdominant function, I assume that it belongs to Dominant function (V/V). This statement is misleading. The V/V belongs to the Dominant function, but not in the main key. Student, after being told that it belongs to Dominant function, will most probably confuse and conflate the two and start looking for the Fr+6 as a substitute for the Dominant.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com