[Smt-talk] BELGIAN +6

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Nov 24 10:10:42 PST 2011

Le 24/11/2011 15:40, Ildar Khannanov a écrit :
> That is why old textbooks maintain that all three chords with +6
> belong to the Subdominant function. They seem to see the context very
> well. Function is defined not by the pitch of the chord, but
> by its place in the metric grid. Of course, later in the 19th century
> the chords were emancipated, but all composers, including Franck, had
> similar training and the concept of Subdominant instilled from the
> early age.

Dear Ildar,

I wonder to what extent France made exception to this. If I am not
mistaken, Fétis, in his Treatise of harmony, does not name the
subdominant at all. He has no name for it and merely dubs it "the 4th
degree". Do you know whether this was exceptional, do you know what
other French treatises said?

Yours,

Nicolas

nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr