[Smt-talk] BELGIAN +6

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 19:47:43 PST 2011

Dear Nicholas,

France, as I know, not only does not make an exception from this, but is and has always been on the forefront of this. Fetis defines Sous-Dominante, Dominante and Tonique quite clearly in his treatise La musique mise a porte de tout le monde.... (see the appendix). He uses the word Sous-Dominante and defines it in the same fashion (as a certain scale step) as Tonique and Dominante.

As for the role and importance of Subdominant, you should look not into the writings of Fetis, but through the textbooks for the Conservatoire. Charles-Simon Catel will be a good source. The atmosphere at the Sorbonne and Universite de Paris 4 is somewhat different from that of the Conservatoire. I am sure that your attempt to throw away the Subdominant will be perceived  by Conservatoire professors as an insinuation.

I also wonder, what would Serge Gut say about this discussion? Ivanka Stoinova?

And the main question: do the French theorists use the term French +6 chord remains unanswered.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory