[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon Oct 3 07:28:13 PDT 2011

I almost agree with Dmitri that "it's better to get rid of the terms
'neighboring' and 'passing' chords."

I almost agree in that I think the N 6/4 is misnamed. As David Headlam
points out, the N 6/4 is an
embellishing chord; actually, all three named 6/4s are embellishing.
Since the other two are
identified by their bass activity, a better label for the N would be
"Pedal 6/4."  This would allow for
various upper-voice activities (e. g., "walking the bass" [in both
classical and jazz]). These
various upper-voice workings-out could become sub-categories, i. e.,
"P above the Ped,"
"IN above the Ped," etc.

RE Matt's original query: I agree with Scott Murphy--that a bare 6/4
above an ascending step-wise
bass suggests IV - V 6/4 in the dominant key. Of course, metric accent
would play a role.

Best,

Donna Doyle
Queens College