[Smt-talk] Neighboring 6/4 chord in Beethoven

Steve Mathews steven.d.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:06:18 PDT 2011

Dear List,

In the second movement of Beethoven's fourth symphony, during the secondary
theme area (clarinet), the supporting harmonies immediately before the
structural close might be of interest.  In both the first and second
rotations, there is a ii6--I6/4--ii6 in Bb major and Eb major (mm. 31 and 86
respectively). I apologize if someone already located this in our lengthy
and interesting discussion of neighbor 6/4 chords!

--
Steven D. Mathews

PhD Student in Music Theory
University of Cincinnati - CCM