[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Sun Oct 2 10:25:19 PDT 2011

Dear Matt,

For what it's worth -- especially without my having time right now to
look up any of the proper citations -- my understanding of the
interesting situation you describe is the following.

First, when a N or P chord based on ^2 prolongs Tonic function, I
believe you made just the right point, about the P- or N-motion best
including parallel or contrary 10ths. Thus the N or P chord would be
a 6/3 or 6/4/3, not a 6/4. The contrast in sonority between chords
with consonances above the bass and a chord with a dissonance (the
4th of the 6/4) might seem too great to sustain a persuasive
Tonic-function P/N-motion.

However, when a passing motion prolongs "Subdominant" function, such
as through bass degrees ^4-5-6, a P-6/4 chord on ^5 seems quite
appropriate, both to preserve hearing only "diatonic" tones and to
anticipate a "Dominant" function 6/4-5/3 prolongation to follow.

That is, in the first case, the P or N chord prolongs Tonic,
presumably animating its movement onward to "S" or "D" functions.
Here, a more "smooth" P/N voice-leading chord is effective, helping
to "stabilize" the T-function. However, prolonging "S", particularly
to aim it toward "D" function, allows for -- even benefits from -- a
P sonority suggesting the "D" to come, thus destabilizing the "S" to
some extent.

Here is a typed example (one voicing of several) of the two
situations (degrees for each chord are listed in B/T/A/S order):

1. ^1/5/3/1-2/5/4/7-3/5/5/1(--^4/6/4/2--)

2. ^4/4/1/6-5/3/1/5-6/4/1/4 [or 6/2/1/4#]--^5/3/1/5-5/2/7/4--^1/1/1/3.

Sincerely,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Faculty, Department of Music Theory