[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Sun Oct 2 10:48:32 PDT 2011

Dear Matt and All,

In the haste of my previous reply I also seem to have assumed that
the bass of the 6/4-chord could as well be (and maybe better ought to
be) part of a PT-figure, rather than just a NT-figure. I think the
comments I made still apply, one way or another, but let me add that
in the case of a truly "upper-NT-bass" on ^2, the "direction" of the
resultant figure probably would be to aim the initial prolonged Tonic
toward a deeper N/P-chord, as part of a longer, turn-like Initial
Ascent (quasi-Schleifer) -- rather than as a P-figure immediately
aiming towards "S"-function, as I proposed in the previous posting.

Here is an example of the actual "NT-^2" ("^  - - " indicates the
smaller prolongation, "^^ --^ --^ " the larger):

^^1/5/3/1-2/5/4/7-1/5/3/1--^7/5/2/2--^1/5/1/3 (-- ^^4/6/1/2
--^^5/5/7/2--^^1/5/1/3)
[not great spacing -- sorry!]

Sincerely,

Gerry