[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

Murphy, Scott Brandon smurphy at ku.edu
Sun Oct 2 18:59:09 PDT 2011

Charles mentions "a smooth modulation to the dominant." Dmitri recognizes
that cadential 6/4s are "primarily cadential 6/4s."  Putting a bare V
above a bass ^2, thus forming the 6/4, can be a clear and even potent
signal that the music is modulating to the dominant.  Generally avoiding
putting a bare V above a bass ^2, passing or neighbor, when the music does
not modulate afterwards steers clear of mixed signals.

-Scott

--
Scott Murphy
President, Music Theory Midwest