[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

Ciro Scotto ciro.scotto7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:37:06 PDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I tend to think and explain to my class that the V6/4 in the context of being an upper neighbor to ^1 sounds too much like a cadential 6/4 (even if the V6/4 is in the wrong rhythmic position) implying a move to the dominant, as Charles Ditto suggested. As soon as I play the V6/4, I hear the cadential function, and ^2 looses its upper neighbor function and becomes a point of arrival. Of course, this does not happen with V4/3 because the tritone reinforces the embellishing function of ^2. The stepwise bass approach to the V6/4 I think reinforces hearing  a cadential function for the V6/4.

All the best,

Ciro