[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

David K Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:56:00 PDT 2011

Ciro's point brings up an important angle on the topic of functions
and expectations: that they have a lot to do with conventions and
idioms (as in "sounds too much like a cadential 6/4").

This sounds obvious, but I think that as theorists we tend to try to
find "objective" reasons for tendencies and functional classification.

This predisposition to see a rigorous order where there may be more
idiomatic explanations is behind the common statistical misjudgments
that Dmitri suspects lurk behind our pedagogy of 6/4's.

See, in this regard, William Thomson, Emergent Dissonance and the
Resolution of a Paradox, in College Music SYmposium, Volume 36, Fall
1996

David

David Feurzeig
Southwick Music Complex