[Smt-talk] Looking for a chord progression

Patrick McCreless patrick.mccreless at yale.edu
Fri Oct 7 06:56:20 PDT 2011

Scott,

Also not after 1800, but closer:  the coda of the final movement of
Beethoven's Piano Trio, Op. 1, No3, in C Minor.  About 60 bars from the
end, an octave G descends to an octave F#, and the theme is stated in B
minor, for a number of measures.  Then a simple 5-6 motion brings a V6
in C minor, and back to C.

Something to check, post-1800:  Unfortunately, I don't have a score
handy, but the first movement of Schubert's (incomplete) *Reliquie*
Sonata, D. 840, in C Major (1825), has an S theme in B minor.  I'd have
to look at the score to see if there's a literal C-b-C move in it, but
it's worth a try (also in the Development...).

Best,

Pat McCreless