[Smt-talk] Looking for a chord progression

Jon Wild wild at music.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 7 10:27:20 PDT 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Murphy, Scott Brandon wrote:

> A transposition of the minor version (Cm: Cm-Bm-Cm) would also be
> acceptable, as would the last two-thirds of either progression.

Root-position minor triads a semitone part are a staple of many recent
film scores attempting to evoke a sense of eery. Here's an example from
the Lord of the Rings soundtrack by Howard Shore; listen to the passage
starting at 1'38":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctOMWAZLw4

We hear F#m - Fm - F#m - Fm.  (Also interesting here is the fact the
melody over the F#m has a #4 and a #3...)

Jon Wild
McGill University