[Smt-talk] vocal sonata forms

clemens kemme ckemme at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 16 02:40:19 PDT 2011

Dear Peter,

'Sonata form' being developed in the middle of the 18th century as (or at
least simultaneously with) 'opera seria aria form', a large majority of
opera seria arias, fast and slow, can serve as examples. Be prepared to find
all typical 18th-century varieties (see Hepokosky & Darcy's taxonomy):
1. binary sonata without development (retransition instead)
2. binary sonata with recap only from second theme/key area onwards (merging
development and recap of theme 1)
3. ternary sonata, with development ('textbook sonata form')
All of these mostly mixed with elements we also know from 'concerto form':
orchestral introduction (longer of shorter, introducing one ore more of the
main themes), cadential tuttis ('ritornellos') closing exposition and
recapitulation, the latter interrupted by a cadenza. (I guess H & D would
label these 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3.)

The entire early vocal work of Mozart is a true gold mine, both operas
(seria) and sacred work. Check e.g. Idomeneo (almost all numbers), the Kyrie
in d, K 341, the Glorias of the Masses K. 317 and 337. From the Mass in c, K
427: 'Laudamus te', 'Quoniam', 'Et incarnatus est', and 'Benedictus'. But
also many of Die Entführung's arias (Nos. 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 17)  are in
sonata form. Less so in the later operas where Mozart developed his new
ensemble technique.

Good luck!

Clemens Kemme
Conservatorium van Amsterdam