[Smt-talk] vocal sonata forms

Locke, Ralph rlocke at esm.rochester.edu
Sun Oct 16 03:14:51 PDT 2011

The whole question of how _much_ sonata form influenced the structure of operatic numbers is a fascinating one.

Charles Rosen has a chapter on "arias," as I recall, in his Sonata Forms book.  Maybe only in the revised version, which not all libraries own.

I used to use arias by Dittersdorf and Grétry to make this very point, in my undergrad Classic-Romantic music-history course here at Eastman.

==
Dittersdorf: Doktor und Apotheker, aria "Verliebte brauchen keine Zeugen" (which I initially found in the History of Music in Sound series of LPs that were produced to coordinate with the Oxford History of Music)

Grétry: Richard Coeur de Lion, aria "Si l'univers entier m'oublie" (ditto--which suggests to me that maybe they were discussed in regard to sonata form in the respective volume of OHM, or why else would two s-f arias have ended up in the anthology?).
==

As I recall, the three main sections of music coordinate directly with the strophic divisions of the text (though differently in the two arias).

I don't recall if there is a discussion of this kind of repertoire (opera arias and ensembles) in Hepokoski/Darcy book on Sonata Theory.

The topic surely invites further study!
Ralph Locke

Ralph P. Locke
Professor of Musicology