[Smt-talk] Female theorists in history

Andrew Westerhaus westeraj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 19:13:20 PDT 2011

Dear John (and list),

Regarding the original posting, there is a rather obscure pedagogical
treatise by a female Scottish theorist that uses games to teach elementary
music theory and dates from 1803:

Anne Gunn (late Young), *An introduction to music in which the elementary
parts of the science, and the principles of thorough bass and modulation, as
illustrated by the musical games and apparatus, are fully and familiarly
explained, with copious examples: together with a description of the
apparatus, compleat directions for playing the several games, with
introductory and additional games, illustrating the different cliffs on a
plan entirely new* (Edinburgh: Muir, Wood and Company, 1803). [OCLC:
45716748]

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Westerhaus
Ph.D. candidate, History and theory of music
University of Chicago
westeraj at uchicago.edu