[Smt-talk] Female theorists in history

David Froom dfroom at smcm.edu
Mon Oct 17 05:02:10 PDT 2011

Patricia Carpenter, another Schoenberg student, was one of the most
profound teachers I ever experienced (during my doctoral studies at
Columbia).  She didn't publish a lot, but what she did was remarkable
work -- and her reach as a teacher is vast.

The theorist Severine Neff at UNC-Chapel Hill (a terrific theorist,
and one of Carpenter's most successful students) may also be a
resource for further names.

David Froom
Professor and Chair
Music Department