[Smt-talk] Dylexia and music theory/aural skills

K. Christian McGuire kmcguire at bitstream.net
Mon Oct 17 19:31:22 PDT 2011

Eliot Handelman wrote:"So: there MIGHT be interference effects involving
music and language -- "

I needn't go into details, but while I have taught my own young children
"fixed do" since birth (and a little before) I myself struggle with
connecting the singing of numbers or syllables to pitches.  Going a step
beyond that, I simply do not hear words when set to music or recited in
verse, I must have them printed in front of me and read along for me to
understand.

While I have never been diagnosed as dyslexic, I do have issues a lifelong
(41 years now) visual impairment (both strabismus and amblyopia (left eye))
and a few other peculiarities (ambidextrous, dominant left for writing and
throwing, dominant right for batting, golfing and playing bass & guitar).
I was not aware that I did not have binocular vision and normal depth
perception until my early 30s, I just figured I was a really slow but
careful reader. (incidentally this is probably why I earned my undergrad in
Philosophy and Classical Languages and enjoy paleographical research...)

With regard to sight singing, I have discovered a connection between my left
hand and musical intervals. that is, my left hand will subconsciously finger
the intervals as I sing.

Sincerely,
K. Christian McGuire,
Instructor of Music History and Music Theory
Studio Artist: Electric Bass
Director of Improv in Music Ensembles
Augsburg College
Music Department
2211 Riverside Avenue
Mpls MN 55454
mcguire at augsburg.edu
http://www.augsburg.edu/ppages/~mcguire/

International Society of
Hildegard von Bingen Studies, Treasurer & Webmaster
http://www.hildegard-society.org/

Musicologist & Electric Bassist
http://www.christianmcguire.com
kmcguire at bitstream.net / cell: 651-270-5807