[Smt-talk] Pieces with improvisatory openings

Scott Spiegelberg spiegelberg at depauw.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:27:13 PDT 2011

Eliot wrote that "Improvised music isn't supposed to sound improvised."  I
remember wrestling with that subject during a Dutch Music Theory conference
on improvisation.  There are improvisations that sound as if they had been
pre-composed.  Yet there are also improvisations that do give the strong
impression of being impromptu, whether purposeful or not.  The impression is
created by a perceived  lack of structure somewhere, whether Mitch's
theorized lack of metric structure, or a lack of hierarchical organization
to the melody, or a lack of exact agreement between melody and harmony.  I
do know that I prefer listening to improvisations that are not too
polished.  I want to know that the performer is in the present act of
creation, otherwise why bother with an improvisation?  As all of us who have
given extemporaneous speeches know, a certain amount of precision and depth
is lost when we forgo exact pre-planning of a performance.  Hopefully that
loss is balanced by an increased excitement engendered in the performer and
the audience because everyone is linked in the spontaneous act of creation.

Scott

--
–
Scott Spiegelberg, PhD
spiegelberg at depauw.edu
http://musicalperceptions.blogspot.com

Webmaster for the Society for Music Theory (until the SMT Annual Meeting!)
http://societymusictheory.org