[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Eric Knechtges eric.t.knechtges at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:07:56 PDT 2011

> Difference tones are analogous to the metric accents that accrue to the
> shared attack between two cycles of differing cardinality.  For example,  a
> 3 vs. 2 rhythm (the combination of "frequencies" 3 and 2) will create a
> higher-level attack at frequency 3-2=1, much as two high pitches a fifth
> apart will produce a difference tone an octave below the lower pitch.

Yes, your example works, but not for the reason you think, I think.  The GCF
of 3 and 2 is 1, which is why there is a higher-level attack there.  There
is certainly no higher-level attack of 2 in a 5 against 3 pattern, but there
is at 1 because the GCF of 5 and 3 is 1.
--
Eric Knechtges, DM
Assistant Professor, Coordinator of Composition/Theory