[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri Sep 16 12:16:16 PDT 2011

Yes, I think so too. Difference tones arise from non linearities in the
transmission chain, eliciting frequencies which are not present in the
individual components. This is quite different from the recomposition of
the fundamental (at the GCF frequency) when several of its (harmonic)
partials are heard together.
     Two notes of, say, 200 and 300 Hz may be heard as harmonics of a
fundamental at 100 Hz -- and the absent fundamental may be perceived.
Two notes of, say, 200 and 301 Hz are the 200th and the 301th harmonics
of a fundamental at 1 Hz.
     Yet the perceived result may be a fundamental at /about/ 100 Hz,
fluctuating (both in amplitude and in frequency) at a rate of about 1
Hz. The trigonometry of this problem is utterly complex: it is of the
nature of frequency modulation, which acousticians themselves describe
as "messy".
     Metric accents and shared attacks are, as here, a matter of phase
angle. Difference tones are another matter.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne